Fall is here, which means winter is on the way. And along with the beauty of the season and the festivities of the holidays will come the cold weather. Is your home ready for another season of freezing temperatures? If you’re looking for how to keep your house warm this year, we’ve got tips from our experts to help keep your home environment warm and cozy all winter long.
5 Tips for How to Keep Your House Warm in the Winter
- Insulating Windows: One of the most significant vulnerabilities when it comes to keeping your house warm in the winter is windows, which sometimes account for as much as 30% of the undesirable energy transfer between the inside and outside of a home. New, insulated windows can quickly sure up this point of egress, helping to block unwanted energy loss and keep heat in during the winter.
- Insulating Window Treatments: Adding a layer of protection to your home with insulating window treatments is another step you can try when looking for how to keep your house warm this winter. Like insulated windows, window treatments look to block a significant point of heat escape in many homes (old windows), thus creating more comfortable and warmer home interiors for the winter.
- Solar Heat: While you’ll want to keep those insulating shades drawn tight at night to keep the winter cold out during the day, open window shades to take advantage of the free solar heat that comes in with natural sunlight. Harnessing this free warming energy during the day, then trapping it in at night by closing insulating window treatments, will help keep interior temperatures warmer without drawing on the additional need for artificial means.
- Make Sure Your Household Is Optimized For Winter: Little tweaks to the set-up of your home can make big differences in the comfort level during winter. First, ensure all furniture is pulled the appropriate distance away from vents, registers, and radiators so internal heating systems can perform optimally. You’ll also want to set ceiling fans to move clockwise (reverse for most standard fan models) to move air downward, so that warm air doesn’t sit on the ceiling, instead circulating it down where homeowners can feel the benefits.
- New Vinyl Siding: If you’re looking for a genuinely enveloping way to keep your house warm this winter, consider the many cost-saving advantages of new insulating vinyl siding. The benefits are felt as the treatment wraps your entire home, with warmer interior temperatures from room to room. New siding also helps protect against moisture intrusion from freezing precipitation in the wintertime that can cause not only internal temperature distortion but also substantial damage to the structure of your home.
Winter is on the way! Learn more about how to keep your house warm with new insulating windows or vinyl siding by contacting Gilkey Windows & Exterior Solutions. Gilkey Windows & Exterior Solutions serves central Kentucky and the greater Lexington area from its central location near Lexington, KY. Request a consultation today to discuss how to keep your house warm this winter with our talented team of home design experts!